Nov 20, 2017 - MARTINEZ, CA – A labor demonstration surrounding holiday pay for Walmart workers kicked off Monday outside the Martinez Walmart. Beginning at 11 a.m., union members, activists, organizations and local leaders were slated to be on hand outside the store on Arnold Drive to hand out fliers and collect petition signatures "demanding Walmart bring back holiday pay for its employees," according to a statement from organizers with the United Food and Commercial Workers labor union.
Organizers say Monday's demonstration is part of UFCW's "Making A Change At Walmart" campaign, and is the first of several coordinated actions at Walmart location across the U.S. meant to deliver a message to Walmart CEO Doug McMillon: "Don't be a turkey on Thanksgiving, bring back holiday pay for your workers."
In a statement Monday, Amy Ritter of UFCW said:
"In 2016, Walmart eliminated holiday pay, sending a strong message that there is nothing special about the holidays when it comes to how Walmart treats and pays its workers. If Walmart is going to remain open on major holidays like Thanksgiving and New Year's, then it should honor all that its workers sacrifice to make the holidays happen and bring back the holiday pay they've earned and deserve.
"These grassroots actions at Walmart locations across the country are part of MCAW's multi-pronged holiday campaign to denounce Walmart's "War on the Holidays" and will continue throughout the holiday season via TV ads, social media, email blasts, online videos and additional store actions."
Editor's Note: Walmart representatives could not immediately be reached for comment Monday morning about this demonstration. Patch will update this post should we receive a response.
- Tentative Agreements Reached in Northern California with Save Mart/Lucky and FoodMaxx
- FoodMaxx Negotiations Update – May 13, 2016
- Raley's/Bel Air and Food Maxx Update - October 29, 2015
- Food Maxx, Raley’s and Safeway Negotiations Update - Aug 24, 2015
- Safeway and Raley’s Negotiations Update, July 2, 2015
- Food Maxx Negotiations Update - June 25, 2015
- Retail Food Negotiations Update, May 1, 2015
- Raley’s and Safeway Negotiation Update, March 5, 2015
- Food Maxx Negotiations Update, October 29, 2014
- Negotiations Update for Save Mart/Lucky and Safeway/Vons, October 10, 2014