Amazon beat out Walmart in a deal for a small pharmacy startup — and it shows just how intense the rivalry’s gotten
By Lydia Ramsey and Dennis Green
Jun. 30, 2018 -- Amazon threw the entire pharmacy industry into a tizzy last week when it announced its plans to acquire PillPack, a small startup that mails prescriptions to people who take multiple medications.
The same concerns about the future of Thrifty ice cream surfaced in 2015 when Walgreens announced it would buy rival drugstore chain Rite Aid in a $9.41-billion cash deal. While some fretted the acquisition would result in a gigantic company with thousands of stores, others focused on what it would mean for their favorite ice cream, which is beloved for its cheap price, quirky flavors and widespread availability at the drug stores.
Survey finds preference for in-person purchases, high satisfaction with supermarkets
May 25, 2018 -- For most U.S. consumers, it will take a big change in shopping behaviors and attitudes to shift their grocery purchases online, according to a new study by Morning Consult.
- Executive Paywatch 2018: The Gap Between CEO and Worker Compensation Continues to Grow
- Walmart pulls plug on Mobile Express Scan & Go
- U.S. sees slowdown in new grocery space
- Ralphs, Food 4 Less hiring 600 workers for SoCal stores
- Tax cut savings flow to company stockholders, trickle to hourly workers
- Amazon Hasn't Exactly Blown Up the Grocery Business Yet
- Amazon May Start a Bidding War With Walmart Over a Huge International Retailer
- UFCW Fights to Improve the Pay and Quality of Life for the Workers Who Bring Value to Retailers and Customers
- Retail Food Negotiation Update, Northern California - January 24, 2019
- Retail Food Negotiation Update, Northern California – December 18, 2018
- Retail Food Negotiations Update, Northern CA - December 5, 2018
- Northern California Retail Food Negotiations Update – November 8, 2018
- UFCW 8 Reaches Tentative Agreement for Yosemite Wholesale and Save Mart Office contracts
- Northern CA Retail Negotiations Update - October 24, 2018
- Northern CA Retail Negotiations Update - October 12, 2018
- Tentative Agreements Reached in Northern California with Save Mart/Lucky and FoodMaxx
- FoodMaxx Negotiations Update – May 13, 2016
- Raley's/Bel Air and Food Maxx Update - October 29, 2015